Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Does It Pay to Be LinkedIn?


Have you ever been on LinkedIn? What has been your experience? I noticed when I first started with the website, I was often unsure how I was to use the software. How was this going to work to build my business? How much time was it going to take me? All these and many more questions would stumble through my head. I will be a LinkedIn member for a couple years before I would find the answers to these questions.

I started on LinkedIn at the behest of my mentor, a prominent best selling author and multiple streams of income coach. The bigger your list, the better you would build your business he would tell us. I still didn't see the point. I was trying desperately to find my purpose in life, my why. I was trying different MLM opportunities. I was taking any jobs I could to make ends meet while I tried to discover my why. I wondered why this seemed so easy for others. What I found out later was that I suffered from complex PTSD and one of its symptoms was the inability to plan for the future or know if there was a future for the patient. Hmm, that made sense.

As I struggled with coping with this invisible disease and the medical issues that accompanied it, it became very clear. I was put on this earth to suffer through my trauma's, learn to deal with them and then help others in similar situations. I started a book, I met regularly with my therapist, I learned. I learned all I could about my condition. I logged how it was affecting me in love, life and business. I suffered, I begged for help and an ending to the torture, I lived. It was through this living that finally helped me to understand the importance of LinkedIn and how it fits into my life.

As I have grown to love it and use it more frequently, I realize how important a tool it can be. Take for example, the number of people you could reach. If you are linked to high quality individuals who have a large number of followers, you open yourself to their lists and their lists' lists. Within my first 5 connections my reach was close to 1 million people... just from 5 connections. More importantly, these connections were active, high quality and credible individuals. As I started thinking about my book, the deadlines I had set for myself and the amount of research needing to be done, it became even more clear.

How many mental health professionals are on LinkedIn?

I could connect with these individuals for a variety of purposes in my journey to mental wellness. These professionals often have websites, blogs and resources that include valuable free information for you to better inform yourself. Often they were connected to Twitter, Facebook or any number of social networks where you could learn more information and share information, as well. And connections- connecting to mental health professionals when you yourself are 'mental' helps you to realize that there are people out there who are kind, empathetic and passionate toward those of us who have been treated so brutally in the past. Yes, LinkedIn may have saved my life, my ability to do business and my restored my faith in humankind. What could LinkedIn do for you?

How Social Networking For Business Came to Be   Making Social and E-Mail Calls to Action More Effective   Social Networking - A Beginners Guide to LinkedIn   Making Efficient Use of Your Social Media Campaign - A Debut Into Social Media Marketing   



0 comments:

Post a Comment


Twitter Facebook Flickr RSS



Français Deutsch Italiano Português
Español 日本語 한국의 中国简体。